Wednesday 17 September 2014

Waylaid by kit homes

So, it's been nearly a year since the idea was born of building a strawbale home. What's happened over that year?

Well, firstly I went off course! I was waylaid by kit homes. In terms of housing affordability and owner build options, kit houses are an undeniably appealing option. We ventured out to a few display kit home properties. Some of them were underwhelming: cookie-cutter, dubious quality of materials. But some of the Victorian, Edwardian and Storybook-styled kit homes were absolutely gorgeous, and I was thoroughly inspired. Here's a couple that the boys just loved.
There's something optimistic and classic about the exterior design. And I do love a deck.
Beautiful polished square open plan lounge, kitchen and breakfast nook. The lounge area had cathedral ceilings.
R wanted to move in right away.
An Edwardian kit home with L-shaped open plan. Kitchen with great amenity.
This house also had lovely signature stained glass windows.
My favourite part of this house: a large undercover, enclosed out door area.
It even had an inbuilt pizza oven. Loving this idea.
I've subsequently struck the idea of a kit home down to number 2 spot on the preference list. Strawbale is just more appealing: aesthetically, environmentally and as an expression of the home environs I want to craft for my family.

However, my exploration of kit homes has been useful in clarifying a couple of things.

Firstly, I recognise that I am drawn to two styles of housing: Victorian and strawbale. I suspect I will be inclined to create something that marries these styles. It might be as simple as vintage style furniture in a strawbale home. Or it might be incorporating elements of the Victorian style more directly into the architecture, be it asymmetrical design, stained glass windows, cathedral ceilings or even kitchen styling. It obviously needs to flow, so it's an idea brewing right now.

Secondly, I've absorbed the fact that it's unrealistic that I would literally build the house myself. I'm just not practical that way and, for that matter, not really inclined anyway. Much of the economy inbuilt in kit homes and strawbale is about your own preparedness to do the hard labour. If it's dependent on me, it's simply not going to happen this lifetime. The best I could hope to pull off is project managing. Even that I feel inclined to delegate to someone more directive and less harmony-loving than me. I do have some people in mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment